Monday 4 April 2011

Pretty in Pink


Back to John Hughes once more for us to revisit Pretty in Pink. I remember this film coming out and everyone at school being obsessed with Andrew McCarthy. I've always missed the Andrew McCarthy crush gene. In this, he's positively wet and deserves a slap for the way he treats Andie. Come on, who wasn't on Team Duckie? Who could be on a Team supporting anyone called Blane?

Andie, good girl, literally from the wrong side of the tracks, meets Blane, rich spoilt kid who is friends with James Spader's wonderfully sleazy Steff. Duckie is her best friend and she works in a record shop with Iona who has the best line in the movie: "when the duck laid that kiss on me last night, I swear my thighs went up in flames. He must practice on melons or something!"

This is Jon Cryer's film. If you only know him from the dire Two and a Half Men, then you are missing out as he is adorable in this. Molly Ringwald is also sweet although that dress they put her in is completely hideous. I know it was the 80s but take it from me! Nobody wore anything quite that bad. And I grew up in Essex, I know what I am talking about.

My main beef with Pretty in Pink is that kids who were cool like Andie and Duckie would feel like outcasts, have problems making friends or would want anything to do with the horrible, shallow rich kids. I don't remember Blane doing anything nice to make Andie fall for him. Maybe I am taking it too seriously but 25 years after it was made, it still rankles, ok?!

Here is the trailer. Ahhh, the 80s. Weren't they grand?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...