Friday 27 April 2012

Prince, Part 1


I have loved Prince for most of my life. I think he is a genius and if I don't know what to listen to, I listen to the Purple Rain album and life always improves as a result.

I've mentioned him on and off on this blog but it's time to do a full retrospective. I can't possibly talk about all his songs so here are some of my favourites. I am going to have to do this in stages as he has so many.

First up, 1999. The introduction to this is one of the best intros in pop. It just makes you want to jump about. One of the things I love about Prince is his funkiness, he's just so cool.


Little Red Corvette. Another great introduction. This is a very sexy song.


I remember his big break through hit was When Doves Cry from Purple Rain (one of the best albums ever made by the way). This isn't available on YouTube. It won't surprise you to learn that Prince isn't wild about his music being on YouTube so his bigger hits are harder to find. I am sure you own this song because why wouldn't you? Yet another wonderful introduction. This is a perfect song.

Let's Go Crazy. Just listening to this makes me feel 14 again. His lyrics are brilliant: 'this life, you're on your own!'


I've covered Purple Rain before

Long before text speak, Prince was there with I Would Die 4 U. I've not listened to this properly for ages, it's perfect of course.


Raspberry Beret. Great video and it's a song about a raspberry beret. Fashiontastic! This is one of my favourite Prince songs, it's very sweet.


My desert island Prince song is probably Kiss. It's so clever, very sparse yet totally danceable. And some of the best lyrics ever written: 'no particular sign I'm more compatible with!' 'Act your age, not your shoe size.' Genius.


Part 2 soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...