Monday 18 February 2013

The Good Life


The very sad demise of Richard Briers leads us here. But what a mighty fine place to be. I rarely blog about British television because well, to be frank, I don't find it that great. I know it's not what people want to hear but I've always preferred American sitcoms. However, an exception can be made for the sublime Good Life.

For me, The Good Life is all about Margot. Margot Leadbetter is one of the best characters ever written. Her social climbing, her snobbery, her wonderful, fabulous clothes and her soft side. Secretly she was a softy.

You can rewatch The Good Life at any time and it's still thoroughly entertaining and that's down to four perfect actors. I've always loved Paul Eddington and he's never been better than Jerry. Felicity Kendal can be annoying but not as Barbara, the sweet, long-suffering wife of Tom. Richard Briers is spot on as Tom Good. Self satisfied, worthy and that little whistle he did, you couldn't help but love him. Penelope Keith was perfection, this was her show. The wardrobe! I'd wear the blue outfit now.





The Good Life makes me think of my youth with great fondness. I remember watching this and thinking it was literally the best thing ever. And it was. RIP Richard. You remind me of simpler times.

1 comment:

  1. I never heard of it. But the only reason I watch all those old Brit shows is because that's what I've grown up watching on TV. I grew up watching Mr. Bean, Are You Being Served? And nowadays, the Brit shows I watch alot are Law and Order: UK, My Family and Top Gear. Believe me, I'm with you on this one; British TV is okay, but certain things are good. They make good law shows and funny shows

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...